Wednesday, April 29, 2015

RAW Artist Showcase: Exposure - April 19, 2015


I'd had the opportunity in previous months to attend RAW Artists Showcase, but for reasons I can't explain currently I did not go. I was probably hungover. 

This day, however, I was not. And despite the incessant deluge of rain we'd received over the course of the last week and a half or so, I felt great. Due to people being out of town and a variety of other factors I didn't have any luck finding a friend to join me to this event held on a Sunday Night at Terminal West in west Atlanta, but I knew I for sure wasn't going to miss this one.



The first musical act of the night was Belle Rousse. She is an up and coming electro/pop/country artist from Marietta, GA. Her music is not exactly my style, but she's good at what she does and puts on a fantastic show, and is damn good at coming up with catchy hooks. 



While listening to the tunes of Ms. Belle Rousse, I sauntered about the venue and perused the various other displays of human expression - including but not limited to paintings, sketches, drawings, photographs and models done-up, made-up and dressed-up in a multitude of costumes, black glitter paint, Egyptian head-dresses, wild hair, tame hair, striped faces, and fake tattoos.







The next musical act of the night was Teeya Skipper and The Ma Soul Band.They were an ultra tight foursome that killed it with their own versions of covers as well as originals. Ms. Teeya Skipper is not only a performer, but her voice seemed to have no limitations - nailing notes and giving her own flair to the lyrical delivery that few artists have the auditory awareness to pull off.













 Clearly there were artists and art galore. This was just one section and the entire space was filled with original artwork by Atlanta Artists.



Another scintillating entertainer for the evening was Mary Strawberry -  a burlesque performer that was adept in the art of the "tease".



A considerably more classy display of a female removing clothes than the other places around town I occasionally find myself in on the weekends.





Ms. Strawberry could remove her stockings with her toes and shoot them across the stage with greatest of ease.





At times I felt like I was watching a Broadway music, only with a lot less people one stage - and less clothes, as well.



Another one of the many highlight of the evening was host Christopher Martin. He commanded the stage and made sure everyone was entertained thoroughly in between acts with his quick wit, antics and overall complete lack of shyness.


The last segment of the night was the fashion show. I'm not well versed in writing about fashion but I am interested in it and keep up with it somewhat. And I'm going to attempt to give a perspective on what I saw.


The first designer of the night was Tatum Jade. I would say she her work takes a minimalist approach and takes use of clean lines, light fabrics and contrast of colors.












Ms. Jade was enthusiastic and seemed completely accustomed to being interviewed about her designs and inspirations for them.



Next up were designs by Liz Heisler.


They markedly darker and gave off a post-apocalyptic vibe.





I was reminded of movies such as The Crow and Mad Max. Ms. Heisler's designs were sexy and what I would call Futuristic Wasteland Chic.








Ms. Heisler was a bit nervous in front of a crowd but that didn't detract from her obvious talent as a fashion designer and artist with a vision for her canvas - the human body.


Last up were designs by Leah Studios.



Her designs were fun, young, summery and considerably more casual than the former 2.











There was a more playful tone throughout the collection of Leah Studios which I could picture some lovely lady sporting for a spring day outing in the park.


\
Ms. Leah clearly enjoyed being on stage and was clearly having a blast.


After waiting for the torrential downpour to let up and making my way to my car I thought to myself that I felt like I had a new found perspective on the art scene in Atlanta and a realization of just how extensive its scene actually is - musicians, fashion designers, painters, photographers, performing arts, actors and the list goes on. I felt proud that this town had become more of a hub for humanity, creation and expression and not so specifically such a business town anymore. I certainly look forward to the next RAW Artists showcase in June.


No comments:

Post a Comment